Praying in Nature
What is praying in nature?
Prayer in nature deepens our relationship with our Lord, Creator of the heavens and the earth, who called them good (see Genesis chapter 1). As a beautiful canvas of God’s work, nature is a powerful way to connect with and see Him. Scriptures proclaim: “The heavens are telling the glory of God; and their expanse is declaring the work of His hands” (Psalm 19:1-4).
How do I pray?
Take a nature walk
- Open with a sign of the cross.
- Ask God to show you the grace in His Creation during your time of prayer.
- Go out into nature (or you could even bring a piece of nature into your home).
- Slowly walk through nature, being attentive to the sights and sounds around you. When something stands out to you, stop and engage it with your five senses.Don’t walk to a destination: take the time to examine and experience the world around you deeply.
- Notice what image or feeling appears within you. Let prayer flow from your heart.
- Sit in silence for a while. Wait for God to reveal Himself. What is He telling you? Is God calling you to change any aspect of your life?
- Continue your walk through nature, repeating the process.
- When you are ready, close your prayer with a sign of the cross.
- Find a place to sit outside. Choose a spot where you feel peaceful, particularly one you find particularly beautiful or meaningful.
- Breathe deeply and let your body relax.
- Use your five senses:
- Notice what you see. Look around and notice the birds, the horizon, the color of the trees. What else do you observe?
- Close your eyes. What do you hear? Are the birds chirping? Are the trees rustling in the wind?
- Notice what you smell. Do you detect the scent of plants, of animals, or the simple clean smell of fresh air?
- Notice what you feel. Is the grass prickly against your legs? Do you feel the breeze? Touch what is around you. How does it feel?
- Do you taste anything?
- Sit in silence for a while, soaking in God’s presence in nature.
- Ask God what He wants to reveal to you. Spend some time in silence, listening.
- Conclude with a sign of the cross.
- Look closely at one aspect of nature and draw or paint it.
- Try using items from nature to create artwork.
- Sit in nature and write a song or a poem.
- Let your imagination guide you. Whatever you decide to do, invite God to bless it and to bless you in the process.
Simply enjoy yourself in nature
- Enjoying ourselves in nature glorifies God as well. Go to the beach, take a hike, climb a mountain. Take the time to enjoy the view.