Staff chaplains are here to accompany staff through personal, family, work or other issues. While the chaplaincy is rooted in Holy Cross and Notre Dame’s Catholic tradition, it serves those of all faiths and those seeking faith. Our Staff Chaplains welcome prayer requests, opportunities for one-on-one conversations and are there particularly to provide support in times of personal hardship, illness or death of loved ones. The chaplaincy also provides opportunities for staff to gather together for support including the monthly Caregivers Support Group and the quarterly Prayer of Remembrance offered for loved ones who have died. Our full-time Staff Chaplain is Fr. Jim Backe, C.S.C. and our part-time Staff Chaplain is Fr. Tim O’Connor, C.S.C. As Fr. Jim says, “we are here to listen and walk the path beside you.”
Fr. Jim Bracke, C.S.C.
Fr. Tim O’Connor, C.S.C.
Staff Caregivers Support Group:
If you are a staff member currently caring for an aging parent, a spouse, or a child with special needs, you are welcome to join the Caregivers Support for staff. This group can offer the opportunity to connect with others, share information and struggles, and listen to how others deal with their situations.
This group meets once per month on Thursdays from noon to 1:00 p.m. This semester the group will meet by Zoom.
- September 3
- October 1 - Contact Fr. Jim Bracke (Bracke.firstname.lastname@example.org) to receive the Zoom link
- November 5 - RSVP here to receive the Zoom link
- December 3 - RSVP here to receive the Zoom link
Staff Grief Support Group
If you are a staff member who has experienced the death of a loved one—a child, a spouse, a parent, a close friend or colleague—you are invited to join a support group of other faculty who have experienced the loss of a loved one. Grief affects us in many ways, and we all grieve differently. Many people find understanding and healing through sharing their journey with others. Staff of all faith backgrounds are welcome. You may drop in at each session as you are able.
The group meets once per month on Tuesdays from noon to 1:00 p.m. This semester the group will meet by Zoom.
- September 22 - Contact Fr. Jim Bracke (Bracke.email@example.com) to receive the Zoom link
- October 20 - RSVP here to receive the Zoom link
- November 17 - RSVP here to receive the Zoom link
- December TBD
Prayer of Remembrance:
All staff are invited to join together in prayer for those who are grieving the death of a loved one.
- All Staff are invited to a 20 minute Virtual Prayer on Friday, Dec. 4 at 12:15 p.m. Fr. Jim Bracke, C.S.C., Staff Chaplain, will lead the prayer honoring all deceased staff as well as deceased loved ones of Staff. The prayer will express our love for those deceased and offer an opportunity as a community to support one another.
All staff are invited to participate in midday prayer offered Tuesdays, from 12:10-12:25 p.m. in the St. Andre Bessette, C.S.C. Chapel, 2nd floor of Flanner Hall.
Staff Prayer Line
Fr. Jim Bracke, C.S.C., Staff Chaplain, has initiated a prayer line to support staff working on and off-campus. With COVID 19 and a society looking at racial justice, many are uncertain, fearful, and anxious. Prayer can be a path to finding peace, courage, and strength. All prayer requests are confidential and only accessible to Fr. Jim. Submit your prayer requests here.
Lord God, grant us, as Notre Dame Staff,
patience and acceptance for ourselves,
co-workers, and work we share in as part of
The mission of serving our students. May we
Feel your love and spirit wherever we are.